I never had sticky toffee pudding in the UK. Mama Ronin did however, and was absolutely ga-ga over the stuff.. and after making this, you will be too!
This vegan version will rival any traditional sticky toffee pudding recipe. Hands down. Seriously worth the effort.
Possible confusion note: STICKY TOFFEE PUDDING IS NOT ACTUALLY PUDDING! It’s a wonderful, sponge cake soaked in syrup.
Here is the recipe converted to standard:
Ingredients for sponge cake
1 1/8 C soy milk
6 Tbsp water
1 1/2 C dates
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 C (=8 Tbsp) vegan margarine
3/4 C soft brown sugar (loose, not packed)
1 1/3 C white self raising flour
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
Ingredients for toffee sauce
5 Tbsp golden syrup
1 1/4 C soft brown sugar (loose, not packed)
1/2 C + 2 Tbsp (= 10Tbsp) vegan margarine
6 Tbsp soy creamer
1 tsp vanilla essence
1. Pre-heat the oven to 375F-190C-Gas5.
2. Line a 8″ x 8″ (20cmx 20cm) shallow cake tin with baking parchment.
3. Chop the dates in half & put them in a small saucepan and cover with the soy milk & water & simmer until the dates are soft.
4. Take off the heat & stir in the baking soda, which will froth as you add it to the date mixture. Leave to cool.
5. Beat together the margarine & sugar until pale & creamy.
6. Add the date mixture & stir in.
7. Mix the spices into the flour. Sieve the flour & fold into the sponge mixture.
8. Spoon the sponge mixture into the prepared tin.
9. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 30minutes or until cooked & the sponge bounces back when pressed.
10. To make the sauce: melt the syrup, margarine, sugar & vanilla essence in a small saucepan & simmer for 5 minutes without stirring. Leave to cool slightly & then stir in the soy creamer.
11. Prick the pudding all over & pour half the hot toffee sauce over the pudding. Serve the rest of the sauce with the pudding & if you like a scoop of vanilla soy ice cream.
This stuff is definitely for special occasions. It’s so good you’ll gain 5 lbs just looking at it!!!