I’ve been toying around with this for a couple of weeks, and these are definitely taste sensations!
2 slices of bread (any type)
2 Tbsp non-dairy milk
1 Tbsp vegan mayo
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp parsley flakes
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp Old Bay Seasoning (copy-cat recipe)
1 lb firm tofu, drained & pressed
salt to taste (no more than 1/4 tsp)
1. In a mixing bowl, tear up the bread into small pieces. Add the milk to moisten the bread. It will be a little sticky.
2. Except for the salt, add & mix the remaining ingredients, crumbling the tofu. Now add the salt to taste.
3. Mix with your hands to make sure the tofu is really crumbled up and everything is all stuck together.
4. Heat a frying pan on medium heat, with just a little bit of oil.
5. Form the mix into (about) 10 patties. Pat them with pressure to make sure the air is out, and that they will stick together.
*Note: Make a thinner, normal sized patty as compared to the very thick normal crab cakes. They are easier to handle, cook better, and have more lovely golden crunch.
6. Fry until golden brown (just a few minutes). Be gentle when flipping the patties.
7. Eat! Enjoy any way you please. On their own with a little mayo, in a sandwich, in a salad, etc.
Makes 10 patties on average.